Whether you want a job in manufacturing, or as an administrative assistant, it’s important to make a great impression during the interview. Even if you have extensive experience, not following interview etiquette or making common mistakes can impact your ability to land the job you want. To ensure that doesn’t happen to you, here are some do’s and don’ts from Adams & Garth – one of the top employment agencies in Central Virginia – to help you at your next interview:
What to Do
- Prepare. Before the interview, read through the job description and formulate your answers to questions you think you might get asked. Also, conduct some research on the company and their history so you can answer questions as intelligently as possible.
- Be professional. No one wants to hire a potential employee who looks sloppy or acts unprofessionally. So make sure you show up on time, you’re wearing appropriate interview attire, and you treat everyone you meet with respect.
- Be persuasive. Beyond simply talking about your background and experience, be ready to explain why the company should hire you and what makes you a good fit for the position. Throughout your answers, convey a positive attitude and plenty of enthusiasm.
What Not to Do
- Bash your past employer. Even if you were treated poorly or unfairly, never talk in a negative way about any past employment experiences. If a hiring manager asks why you’re moving on, just explain you’re ready for new challenges and a new opportunity.
- Forget materials. If the hiring manager asked you to bring a copy of references, your resume and your driver’s license, don’t forget them. You might not think it’s a big deal, but doing so shows you can’t follow simple instructions. It will therefore hamper the positive impression you’re trying to make.
Need more help acing an interview or landing your next great job?
Call the experts at Adams & Garth. As one of the top employment agencies in Central Virginia, we can help you with your job search from start to finish, whether you need help with your resume and interviews, or connecting with potential new employers. Contact us today to learn more!